Building Peace Through Community: Day 1 at the Peace-In

“Building Peace Through Community” -- This is the theme of the Peace Education Center’s Peace-In at Everybody Reads bookstore in Lansing. The theme – thanks to Ann F. and Chris S. – captures perfectly what I saw and felt today at the event’s opening day.

My favorite role today was working the resource table and meeting so many new people. Gwendolyn of Unity of Greater Lansing stopped by to say hello and shared information about a national art project for peace. She also gave me details about her efforts to work with young people in Lansing as Unity’s Youth Education Director.

Another new face, Dalmon, stopped by the table and shared his hope to someday start a food co-op in Lansing. As a soon as I got home tonight I sent Dalmon the web site address for the Power of We grants and application process (
www.powerofwe.org). I wish Dalmon the best in pursing his project locally.

A group of about 10 people watched the evening’s movie together and shared a plate of Girl Scout cookies. We had some familiar faces in the crowd and other new-found friends who did not hesitate to join the gathering. It was all very comfortable -- except, of course, for the seriousness of the movie topic.

Elise Harvey was on hand to demonstrate the art of making peace cranes. And tonight, at age 47, I made my first-ever peace crane. And I also made my second-ever peace crane. As I understand it, I have 998 more to go before I get my wish. Elise will return on Thursday at 6 p.m. to demonstrate this wonderful art form – and I’ll be right there intently working on my third-ever peace crane.

A special thanks goes out to Sarah N. for the beanbag chairs! The kids enjoyed them at story time this afternoon – and one adult was seen sitting in one while enjoying the movie.

I missed the soup and salad lunch during the Michigan Peace Team’s presentation at noon today. I heard that the lunch, which was provided by Gone Wired Café, was delicious and that Peter Dougherty’s presentation was enlightening, as usual. I won’t miss Thursday’s noontime lunch discussion on “What Role Can Faith Communities Play in Building Peace?” If you have time, please join us at noon – your lunch has been pre-approved!


All events for Thursday ("International Women's Day") and this coming weekend can be found at www.glanwi.org or www.peaceedcenter.org. Please stop in and say hello!


- Tom Rico

Posted at Wednesday, March 07, 2007
Email Tom Rico
0 comments